This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2021)
In contemporary history, the third millennium of the anno Domini or Common Era in the Gregorian calendar is the current millennium spanning the years 2001 to 3000 (21st to 30th centuries). Ongoing futures studies seek to understand what is likely to continue and what could plausibly change in the course of this period and beyond.
Predictions and forecasts not included on this timeline
- List of future astronomical events
- Projections of population growth
- Climate change
- List of dates predicted for apocalyptic events
- Predictions and claims for the Second Coming
- Near future in fiction
- Works falling into the public domain in the United States
- April 30: A Nickelodeon time capsule, sealed in April 1992, is scheduled to be opened.
- September 17: A common computing representation of date and time on IBM mainframe systems will overflow with potential results similar to the year 2000 problem.
- 2045: Centennial commemorations of the conclusion of World War II and the fall of Nazi Germany.
- 2047: On July 1, the present "one country, two systems" arrangement in Hong Kong is scheduled to end, as it was guaranteed for 50 years starting from July 1, 1997, provided under the Hong Kong Basic Law. The agreement was raised by Deng Xiaoping to deal with Hong Kong's reunification with the People's Republic of China in 1997, and stipulated in the Sino-British Joint Declaration of 1984. What will be done is not stated in any document.
- 2048: On January 14, the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty is scheduled to come up for review.
- October 1: Scheduled completion of the Belt and Road Initiative, coinciding with the 100th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China.
- December 20: The present "One country, two systems" with Macau, guaranteed for 50 years starting from 20 December 1999, provided under the Basic Law and the Joint Declaration on the Question of Macau, will expire.
- By 2049, the 100th anniversary of the People's Republic of China, the Chinese government aims for China to be a "strong, democratic, civilized, harmonious, and modern socialist country."
- Three-North Shelter Forest Program is expected to be completed.
- The President of the United States Joe Biden says his plan will ensure that the United States will be a 100% clean energy economy and reach net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Arnulf Jaeger-Walden of the European commission's Institute for Energy believes that solar power from North Africa can provide 100 GW to the entire continent of Europe.
- Under a plan announced in July 2016, New Zealand aims to eradicate all non-native rats, possums, and mustelids by this year.
- The United States Air Force is set to retire the B-52 Bomber from service.
- A time capsule in Rachel, Nevada is set to be opened in this year.[importance?]
- February: A METI message Cosmic Call 1 sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, 15 Sge star.
- May: A METI message, called the Teen Age Message, sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, HD 76151 star.
- December: A METI message, called the Teen Age Message, sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, 37 Gem star.
- In the UK, the Midland Expressway Ltd (MEL) contract to run the M6 Toll expires.
- 2059: In January, a METI message, called the Teen Age Message, sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destinations, HD 126053 star and HD 193664 star.
- September 1: A time capsule at St. Gabriel School in Biggar, Saskatchewan, Canada is scheduled to be opened for its 150th anniversary of its school division (Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools).
- July 24: Halley's Comet expected to be visible for the first time since the perihelion was last reached in 1986.
- December 31: Expiration of the Singapore-Malaysia Water Agreement.
- The process of cleanup and decommissioning the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, following the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, is projected to be finished.
- November 22: Venus occults Jupiter, the first planet-planet occultation since 3 January 1818. The next planet-planet occultation will occur less than two years later, on 15 July 2067 (when Mercury occults Neptune).
- September 29: One of four time capsules at the Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is scheduled to be opened 100 years after it was locked.
- May 31: A Solar Eclipse will occur.
- 2070: According to an announcement made by Indian prime minister Narendra Modi in 2021, India will be carbon neutral.
- 2073: On January 1, assuming no further extensions to the term of copyrights become law in the interim, all media that was published before 1978 (including the first Star Wars film) will have fallen into the public domain in the United States. This year in particular is significant because this is the last year when the terms of the Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act will apply; works published after 1977 will generally fall into the public domain after 70 years post mortem auctoris.[example needed]
- 2079: For computer software using unsigned 16-bit binary day counts and an epoch of 1 January 1900, the counts will overflow after 65,536 (216) days, which will occur on 6 June 2079.
- 2085: The "secret" letter of Queen Elizabeth II will be opened in Sydney, Australia.
- 2088: The University of Bologna, the world's oldest university in continuous operation, will turn 1,000 years old.
- 2089: During the months of May and June, insect Magicicada broods X (17-year) and XIX (13-year) will emerge simultaneously. This will be the first time this will occur since 1868; next time will be in 2310. This event occurs only once in every 221 years.
- 2090: The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund is set to expire.
- Work on cleaning up the site of the Oldbury Nuclear Power Station[a] is scheduled to be complete in 2092 (early estimate).
- The second incarnation of a time capsule in Durazno, Uruguay, is scheduled to be opened after 100 years atop a pillar. The previous incarnation of the time capsule was created in 1892 and opened in 1992.
- 2097: A time capsule, sealed 100 years earlier, is scheduled to be opened in Baltimore's Inner Harbor to celebrate 300 years of the city's incorporation.
- The 99-year lease for Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens, New York City is set to expire.
- Ontario regains control of the Ontario Highway 407 when its 99-year lease expires.
- 2099 is the maximum year that can be set on computers with BIOS firmware, as well as Microsoft's Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 operating systems, and Sony's PlayStation 2 and the Nintendo DS gaming platforms.
- On 14 March (which will be 29 February in the Julian calendar), the difference between the Julian calendar and the Gregorian calendar reaches 14 days. Since 14 is divisible by 7, this will be the first time in history since its inception that the Gregorian calendar has the same day of the week for each day of the year as the Julian calendar. This will last until 28 February 2200 of the Gregorian Calendar.
- On January 1, a time capsule placed in Hòa Bình Dam, Vietnam, in 1984 is scheduled to be opened.
- Silverstein Properties' 99-year lease on the World Trade Center expires.
- 2103: Per an agreement between the National Archives and Caroline Kennedy, the jacket Jackie Kennedy wore on the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated cannot be displayed in public until this year.
- FAT file systems theoretically support dates up to 31 December 2107 (though officially only up to 31 December 2099).
- 2109: On April 27, a time capsule placed under the floor boards of the Old Queens Building at Rutgers University, in New Jersey, buried on 27 April 2009, is scheduled to be opened.
- The Chernobyl New Safe Confinement reaches end of designed lifetime in the 2110s.
- 2110: On 19 September, a time capsule at the Plaza de Armas in Santiago, Chile is intended to be opened. It was buried in 2010.
- 2111: The will of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is scheduled to become public knowledge.
- November 18: The city of Beaumont, California in the United States is scheduled to open a time capsule in honour of its bicentennial.
- A time capsule buried in Weavers Academy, Wellingborough, UK, will be opened after 100 years of being buried.
- The will of Queen Elizabeth II is scheduled to become public knowledge.
- The first book from the Future Library project will be published, 100 years after being submitted by author Margaret Atwood.
- The One Hundred Year Study on Artificial Intelligence (AI100) initiated by Stanford University will be concluded.
- November 18: On November 18, 2015, Robert Rodriguez and John Malkovich teamed up with Louis XIII de Rémy Martin (cognac) to create a film called 100 Years. It was put into a time capsule that will remain sealed until November 18, 2115, the day of the film's premiere and the 100th anniversary of the film being made.
- 2116: China Merchants Port's 99-year lease on Hambantota International Port in Sri Lanka is set to expire.
- 2117: A song titled "100 Years", composed by Pharrell Williams, will be released to the public. The song was performed by Williams at a private party in Shanghai, China, in 2017. The song is said to have addressed global warming.
- 2120: In November, a South African vault of thousands of time capsules containing present-day information for future generations' use will be opened, 101 years after burial. The Vault 2120 is located at Maropeng in the Cradle of Humankind and was sealed in November 2019. The vault will only be opened in the year 2120. The vault and its thousands of time capsules have been buried at least two metres underground at the Maropeng Visitor Centre.
- 2132: A time capsule on Rideau Street in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada is intended to be opened that year. It was buried in 1982.
- 2140: All Bitcoins are expected to be mined.
- 2193: A time capsule at the York Civic Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is scheduled to be opened that year. It was buried in 1997.
- 2227–2247: Pluto will be closer to the Sun than Neptune is for the first time since the year 1999.
- 2265: Return of the Great Comet of 1861.
- 2285: On March 22, Easter will occur on its earliest possible date for the first time since the year 1818.
- 2333: It is projected that the Dounreay nuclear site will be safe to use for other purposes.
- 2353: The date of Easter as conventionally calculated will be five weeks earlier than its hypothetical date according to astronomical principles, in a "negative equinoctial paradox". Along with 2372, this will be one of only two such occurrences between 2020 and 4000.
- 2372: The date of Easter will see another "negative equinoctial paradox", this time four weeks earlier than its hypothetical date. This will be the last such occurrence before the year 4000.
- 2391: Palm Sunday and Saint Patrick's Day will coincide for the first time since 1940; the "wearing of the shamrock and the palm together" was seen as presaging a great event in Ireland.
- 2400: The first century leap year since 2000.
- 2439 (estimated): The "Across the Universe" message broadcast by NASA in 2008 will reach Polaris.
- 2464: A time capsule buried at Cape Canaveral Launch Complex 14 in the United States is intended to be opened.
- 2492: The 1,000th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' 1492 arrival in America.
- c. 2500: Climate projections predict a barren landscape for the Amazon rainforest amid low water levels due to vegetation decline.
- 2640: On September 5, the 639-year-long performance of John Cage's organ work As Slow as Possible (begun in 2001) is scheduled to finish at the St. Burchardi Church in Halberstadt, Germany.
- The St. Michael's Catholic Cemetery (Happy Valley) in Hong Kong lease on Wanzai's Saint Fulan gentleman street will end after a 999-year lease, assuming no legal status changes before that date.
- 2883: On January 4, the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) lease on the O&Q (Ontario and Quebec) will end, after a 999-year lease.
- 2968: The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument in Amarillo, Texas, contains four separate time capsules, the last of which is intended to be opened 1,000 years after the Time Columns Monument was locked in 1968.
- Timelines of the future
- Foresight (psychology)
- Outline of futures studies
- Technology forecasting
- The Oldbury Nuclear Power Station is located in South Gloucestershire, England.
- "Oman's next 5-year plan to focus on Tanfeedh goals". Times of Oman. 14 December 2019. Retrieved 25 December 2019.
- "Oman Vision 2040: sustainability to drive next wave of growth". www.business.hsbc.co.om. Retrieved 13 April 2022.
- Jagadish Khadilkar (2017). Antarctica: The Frozen Continent's Environment, Changing Logistics and Relevance to India. Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 9789386643001.
- "13 Indians take the harshest route in the world to save Antarctica". economictimes.indiatimes.com. 16 March 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- "VW extends co-operation with Chinese JV partner FAW Group for another 25 years". www.autocarpro.in.
- Crezo, Adrienne (25 June 2012). "Every item inside time capsule Nickelodeon buried in 1992". Mental Floss. Mental Floss, Inc. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Transcript of Deng Xiaoping's dialogue with Margaret Thatcher". Archived from the original on 15 April 2005. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- Brady, Anne-Marie (2017). China as a Polar Great Power. Cambridge University Press. p. 225. ISBN 9781316844670.
- "CrowdReviews Partnered with Strategic Marketing & Exhibitions to Announce: One Belt, One Road Forum". PR.com. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Leadbeater, Chris (13 April 2017). "10 fascinating facts about Europe's last colony in Asia – and the most crowded place on Earth". The Telegraph. Archived from the original on 10 January 2022. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "人民日報-兩個一百年". Archived from the original on 2 May 2015.
- "State Forestry Administration, P.R.China". State Forestry Administration, P.R.China (in Chinese). Archived from the original on 15 March 2014. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "Plan for Climate Change and Environmental Justice | Joe Biden". Joe Biden for President: Official Campaign Website. Retrieved 17 April 2021.
- Alok Jha (22 July 2008). "Saharan sun to power European supergrid". London: guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- Ramzy, Austin (25 July 2016). "New Zealand Vows to Wipe Out Rats and Other Invasive Predators by 2050". The New York Times. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "ID4 - Rachel, Nevada - Time Capsules on Waymarking.com". www.waymarking.com. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Daytona International Speedway signs long-term lease". 30 March 2006.
- "China's new climate plan falls short of Cop26 global heating goal, experts say". The Guardian. 28 October 2021. Archived from the original on 2 November 2021. Retrieved 2 November 2021.
- "Chernobyl nuclear power plant site to be cleared by 2065". Kyiv Post. 3 January 2010. Archived from the original on 5 October 2012.
- "India pledges net-zero emissions by 2070 — but also wants to expand coal mining". NPR. 3 November 2021. Archived from the original on 14 November 2021. Retrieved 14 November 2021.
- "Queen Elizabeth II left a 'secret' letter that will stay unopened until 2085". The Independent. 15 September 2022. Retrieved 15 September 2022.
- de Ridder-Symoens, Hilde: A History of the University in Europe: Volume 1, Universities in the Middle Ages, Cambridge University Press, 1992, ISBN 0-521-36105-2, pp. 47–55
- "Niches :: May :: 2011". Sparkleberrysprings.com. 15 April 2009. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Monumento a Cristóbal Colón: "Una cápsula del tiempo"". www.durazno.uy (in European Spanish). Retrieved 18 January 2022.
- "Senate approves bill to extend 9/11 victims fund". Associated Press. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- Strategy: effective from April 2011. The Stationery Office. 2011. p. 85. ISBN 9780108510472.
- "The definitive guide to Denver International Airport's biggest conspiracy theories". The Denver Post. 31 October 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Albers, Steven (March 1979). "Mutual Occultation of Planets". Sky and Telescope. 57 (3): 220. Bibcode:1979S&T....57..220A.
- Arthur Hirsch (4 November 1997). "Maybe they'll figure out what we were thinking Parody: There is a lot we'd like to bury with Baltimore's bicentennial time capsule. Please, don't open till 2097". Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on 28 November 2020. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- "After Schumer, Maloney Push, NPS Approves Kaufman Astoria Studios application for a 99 year lease term". Charles E. Schumer. 16 October 2012.
- Siekierska, Alicja (5 April 2019). "Worst deal ever? The 407 is worth $30B today – Ontario sold it for $3.1B in 1999". Yahoo! Finance. Retrieved 20 December 2021.
- "Bức thư gửi thế hệ mai sau ở Nhà máy Thủy điện Hòa Bình: 2100 – Vì sao". www.evn.com.vn. Archived from the original on 11 October 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2021.
- "Governor Pataki, Acting Governor Difrancesco Laud Historic Port Authority Agreement To Privatize World Trade Center" (Press release). Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. 24 July 2001. Archived from the original on 4 September 2001.
- Kaye, Randi. "Jackie Kennedy's pink suit locked away from public view". CNN. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- Diduch, Mary (27 April 2009). "U. celebrates Old Queens bicentennial". The Daily Targum. Rutgers University: College Media Network. Archived from the original on 1 January 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2009.
At the ceremony, a time capsule was revealed containing several items from today to leave for the University in 2109, at the building’s tricentennial commemoration.
- "Prince Philip's will to be secret for 90 years". BBC News. 16 September 2021. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- "Queen's will to be kept sealed and hidden for 90 years at undisclosed location". International Business Times. 14 September 2022. Retrieved 15 September 2022.
- Flood, Alison (27 May 2015). "Into the woods: Margaret Atwood reveals her Future Library book, Scribbler Moon". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 4 November 2020.
- "Stanford to host 100-year study on artificial intelligence". Stanford University. 16 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "Study to Examine Effects of Artificial Intelligence". The New York Times. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "One-Hundred Year Study of Artificial Intelligence: Reflections and Framing". Eric Horvitz. 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Panda, Ankit. "Sri Lanka Formally Hands Over Hambantota Port to Chinese Firms on 99-Year Lease". thediplomat.com. Retrieved 19 January 2022.
- "Want to hear the new Pharrell song? You'll have to wait until 2117". TimesLIVE. Retrieved 11 September 2022.
- "Vault Containing 4500 Time Capsules To Be Opened In 101-years". IOL.
- "11.2.4 The YEAR Type". Retrieved 21 May 2022.
- "Sentry: Earth Impact Monitoring". cneos.jpl.nasa.gov.
- York Civic Centre. Archived 28 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine Freebase (23 October 2006). Retrieved on 2014-01-19.
- "Dounreay site available for reuse in the year 2333". BBC News. 20 August 2020. Retrieved 19 January 2022.
- Zeyer, Klaus Peter (2020). "Häufigkeit von Osterparadoxien: Negative Äquinoktialparadoxien der Jahre 2353 und 2372 als seltenste Variante". Regiomontanusbote. 33: 5–10.
- "Palm Sunday in old Ireland - World Cultures European". www.irishcultureandcustoms.com.
- Year, the Fading (28 March 2021). "Irish Folklore for Palm Sunday – Domhnach an Iúir".
- "NASA beaming Beatles tune to the stars". NBC News. Retrieved 22 January 2022.
- "Mercury 7 Time Capsule - Cape Canaveral Air Force Station - Time Capsules on". Waymarking.com. Retrieved 26 January 2022.
- Lyon, Christopher (September 2021). "Climate change research and action must look beyond 2100". Global Change Biology. 28 (2): 349–361. doi:10.1111/gcb.15871. ISSN 1354-1013. PMID 34558764. S2CID 230588117.
- Dunhill, Alex; Beckerman, Andrew P.; Burke, Ariane; Allen, Bethany; Smith, Chris; Lyon, Christopher; Hill, Daniel J.; Saupe, Erin; McKay, James. "Our climate projections for 2500 show an Earth that is alien to humans". The Conversation. Retrieved 26 August 2022.
- Steve Rosenberg (5 July 2008). "'World's longest concert' resumes". BBC News. Retrieved 23 February 2021.
- "Time Capsule". Archived from the original on 21 March 2012.